What is a crown?
Dental crowns are also known as “caps” because they completely cover a tooth when placed. They can be used to:
- Protect a weak tooth that is in danger of breaking
- Hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Restore a tooth that is severely worn or broken
- Support a dental bridge
- Cover a misshapen or severely discolored tooth
- Cover a dental implant or a tooth treated with a root canal procedure
- Change the appearance of a tooth
Crowns are very versatile in their uses as they can help with both restorative and cosmetic issues.
You will have to plan for at least two visits to Urban Smiles Dental to have a crown created and placed. During your first appointment, the tooth being treated will be prepared to receive a crown. This consists of having it filed down a small portion to create enough room for the crown to fit. Any decay present on the tooth will also be removed. A local anesthetic will be used for this procedure to minimize any pain or discomfort. If a tooth is worn or broken and is not large enough to support a crown, it can be built up using filling material. Once it is the right size, your dentist will take an impression of the tooth to send to a dental laboratory; the crown will be made off-site. You will be fitted with a temporary crown on the prepared tooth until the crown is ready.
Once the permanent crown returns from the dental lab, you will need a second appointment to our office to have your temporary crown removed and replaced. The permanent crown will be bonded into place and adjustments can be made as necessary to achieve the right fit.