Different appliances have been invented in dentistry to cater for different oral problems. There is hardly an oral issue that dentists cannot find a solution to, ranging from cosmetic concerns to restorative concerns.
What Are Dental Implants?
They are dental fixtures used in replacement and restoration of missing teeth. They feature metal posts made of titanium. The implants are installed in the jawbone of a patient, to replace a missing tooth from the root.
What Are DENTAL Implants Used For?
Oral implants are used in the replacement of missing teeth. Ideally, when you have one or two teeth missing, you can opt for dental bridges or dental implants. Other than that, Implants have been used severally for supporting other dental treatments. Such include:
- Implant-supported dentures – dentures are appliances used in the replacement of multiple teeth. They can be partial or complete dentures. Implants are used to provide support for such dentures to avoid unwanted movements.
- Implant-supported bridges – some dental bridges use Implants as their support, instead of dental crowns. This increases the stability thereof.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
A tooth implant is not the only dental solution available in a dental facility. This will make you wonder why you would choose Implants over other options. Here are some of the benefits of dental implants over other dental appliances:
- Stability – given that teeth Implants are inserted in the jawbone of a patient, they over a stable tooth replacement option.
- Longevity – Teeth Implants last way longer than other types of dental appliances like dental crowns or bridges. They feature titanium that is a sturdy material, in addition to a stable foundation. They can last an entire lifetime, with proper oral care.
- Decay prevention – once your dentist inserts a dental implant in your mouth, you can wave goodbye to dental decay. The metal fixture cannot be decayed by plaque. Besides, since the implant does not have nerve endings, you never have to worry about toothaches and discomforts.
- Cosmetic advantage – by themselves, dental implants are not aesthetically appealing. It is why dentists use dental crowns alongside implant treatment. Dental crowns are used to cap Implants and give them a natural-looking appearance.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
The Process of installing dental implants differed from most procedures. The very initial step involves a dental exam. It is not everyone that qualifies for oral implants.to qualify, the dentist has to examine your jawbone structure. A thin bone structure cannot support a metallic post. After your dentist clears you for the procedure, you can expect the following steps:
- Local anesthesia – for this procedure, you need a sedative to numb your mouth to alleviate any discomfort. This is especially because the process involves a surgical procedure.
- Incision – the dentist will make an incision on your mouth by cutting part of the gum tissue to open it. This follows a physical exam to determine the best position for the implant, particularly where multiple teeth are missing. The small cut on the gums will expose the bone underneath, to allow for the procedure.
- Installation – depending on the type of implant being used for your mouth, it will be inserted differently on your jawbone. Afterward, the guns are sewn back together, and allowed to heal. As the gum heals, they grow on the implant and integrate as part of the teeth structure.
- Capping the implant – a dental crown is prepared in the dental laboratory to cover your implant. The crown has to be matched to the color of your natural teeth for cosmetic purposes. It then covers the implant and is attached through a process called dental bonding.
How Much Do Implants Cost?
The dental implant costs differ depending on where you get them, and your oral condition. In comparison to other dental fixtures, implants are more expensive given the process of the treatment. The costs also differ depending on the number of implants you need for a complete smile makeover. The more Implants you need, the higher the costs. The total cost of the implants is inclusive of the metal post, the procedure, and the dental crowns. This, and the fact that the results are worthwhile since they last a long time, makes the whole treatment worth investing in. Book your appointment with the best Wicker Park Dental Service now.